York University and the Graduate Program in Interdisciplinary Studies offers competitive funding to excellent full-time students accepted into our graduate programs. Sources for this funding include Awards, Scholarships, Bursaries, Teaching Assistantships, Research Assistantships, Graduate Assistantships (as is normally the case in IS), and York Graduate Scholarships for our top-ranked students.
We also encourage and support students in their applications for prestigious external provincial and national awards. Interdisciplinary Studies specifically appoints an executive member to serve as a point-person for IS students putting together their grant applications. That person is Dr. Kym Bird. Together with additional York awards and funding, external scholarships are a measure of academic excellence, and they allow students the time to focus on their research and make progress in their studies.
Fees and Tuition
Academic fees are charged on either a per-course or per-program basis, depending on the Faculty or program in which you enroll, and in most cases include tuition costs as well as supplementary fees. Additional fees may include health plans, the YU-card (where applicable) and associated course and program fees. Please note that course and program fees are subject to approval by York’s Board of Governors in accordance with the fees guidelines set by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities and are subject to change. To learn more specifically about Graduate Program Fees go to: https://search2.info.yorku.ca/?q=graduate%20program%20fees&client=External&proxystylesheet=External&site=default_collection&output=xml_no_dtd
Competitive Funding to Support Your Research
At York, all qualified graduate students receive a guaranteed funding package for the duration of their program with their offer of admission.
For 2015-2016 FT eligible Interdisciplinary Studies Admits received $9,000 for each of their two Full-Time years of Study. In 2016-2017 Funding will be in the form of a $10,000 FELLOWSHIP. Furthermore, for successful applicants with an entrance GPA of A or A+, there may be the possibility of receiving a York Graduate Scholarship of $8,000 or $10,000.
Note: Funding and training opportunities come in the form of Teaching Assistantships, Research Assistantships, Graduate Assistantships, Fellowships and York Graduate Scholarships.
York offers a range of awards for students, with more than $10 million in internal recruitment scholarships alone, including:
- the Elia Scholars Program, York University’s most prestigious graduate award for incoming domestic or international doctoral students ($40,000) -http://gradstudies.yorku.ca/current-students/student-finances/funding-awards/donor-awards/elia-scholars/
- Graduate Fellowships for Academic Distinction, scholarships awarded to incoming master’s students with high potential for future leadership in international affairs. Fellowships include a scholarship Master’s: $7,000), a Research Assistantship ($7,000) and all tuition fees ($5,500): http://gradstudies.yorku.ca/current-students/student-finances/funding-awards/donor-awards/academic-distinction-fellowship/
- Chancellor Bennett Master’s Scholarship, supporting exceptional master’s students with an A average, entering a full-time program in Liberal Arts ($20,000). http://gradstudies.yorku.ca/current-students/student-finances/funding-awards/donor-awards/chancellor-bennett-scholarship/
Full-time students are eligible for further financial assistance:
- Fieldwork Cost Fund
- Graduate Development Fund
- Research Cost Fund
- Minimum-Guarantee Assignment
- External Awards and Scholarships
You are also encouraged to apply for external awards, including support from the Government of Canada, national foundations and the Province of Ontario. York graduate students have a high success rate in attracting these scholarships: for example, 10 Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships went to York grad students in the past two years, each worth $50,000 and renewable for up to three years. For more information, please visit- https://gradstudies.yorku.ca/current-students/student-finances/funding-awards/
Award Application Support
Need help with applications for external agencies? We’re here to assist you with information sessions and workshops throughout the year:
- Ontario Graduate Scholarships (OGS)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
For more information, please visit Current Students – Funding and Awards: https://gradstudies.yorku.ca/current-students/student-finances/